As a parenting blog, it would be remiss of this site not to bring attention and appreciation to the matriarch and pillar of the family structure. I mean obviously, where would we be without our moms!?
Mother’s Day is fast approaching and it is not just a one-day event to show moms some love. We should take the time to recognize them every day and all the time.
I love you, mom…
Here is a list of some of the fondest memories that some of my readers and subscribers has so gratefully shared about their great moms.
- One of the manny memories I have of my mother that always stay with me is our walks to and from the grocery store. My mom was not born in the U.S. she was from modest country and upbringing. She never really learned to write, let alone drive a car. So getting around meant rides, public transportation, or walks. My dad worked long hours, and food had to be purchased. We sometimes couldn’t wait for the weekends and my mom was too prideful to ask for rides. So, we would walk about a mile and half to and from with loads of groceries.
- The fond memory I have is when my wife would be bathing our daughter in the bathroom, she would sing to her. My daughter (not even one years old at the time) would raise her little hands in enjoyment while in the tub.
- I loved when my mother did our hair. This was especially special to us because my mom lost one of her arms, during a terrible accident early in our childhood. I remember her doing my older sister’s hair for prom or some special event, I don’t quite remember. My mom did such a great job! She has always been a strong woman providing and taking care of us no matter the limitations or obstacles.
- Couldn’t wait to come home after school or swing by for a visit because my mom always cooked. She is a great cook. As I got a bit older I made it a point to visit with the intent of getting a home-cooked meal from my mom.
- My mom was a hotel housekeeper and during the summer days, as a child, my parents couldn’t get a sitter. My brother and I would spend the whole day at mom’s hotel. Good times!
- It was kind of strange when I first told my mom I was expecting my first child. She literally looked at mean in awe and joy. I guess it was sort life coming full circle for her. I will never forget that look and imagine I will give it the same gaze to my daughter when her time comes.
- My mom loves to dance. At any giving moment, you could walk into the house to music blasting on high volume and there she would be in the middle of the living room enjoy herself as if she were dancing the night away. Mind you she had one bad leg lol, mom!
- Got to respect my girlfriend and woman period. I witnessed her deliver my daughter with no meds, all 9lbs of her. So cool #moms!
- Growing up one of the apartments we lived in was on a steep hill. One afternoon my mother took my brother and I out on our bikes. We were young and still not comfortable. Needless to say, my brother started heading down the hill fast and couldn’t stop. He didn’t know how to use the brakes. The picture that sticks with me is my mom screaming and desperately running down the hill as fast as she could to save her son. It was a great effort from a loving and heroic mom.
Would love to hear some memorable memories you guys have of your mom. Please leave a comment…